2010年11月12日金曜日

Sapporo's Flag

I sometimes do a lesson about symbols.  I always start the lesson by having the class draw the American flag, following my instructions in English.

I don't tell them what they are drawing, I just tell them to draw rectangles and lines in the appropriate places. After they have figured out what they are drawing, I get them to tell me what the parts of the flag symbolize.  From there the conversation branches out and we discuss different symbols that the student may know.  After the discussion has gained a little momentum, I start asking about Hokkaido, the prefecture's tree, bird, flower and so on.  Finally I ask them to teach me how to draw the Hokkaido flag.  It's a trap!!!  It's far too difficult and most people living here don't know what it looks like anyway.

After we decide to chuck the project and everyone is feeling blue, I zone back in and say, "What the hell? That flag is too complicated anyway.  Let's redesign the flag."

After giving them a few minutes to get their ideas down, everyone presents them and explains why they chose certain symbols for the flag.  Recently, a junior high student designed a flag for Sapporo. The famous Sapporo clock tower is depicted under a branch of lilies of the valley, Sapporo's flower.  There are ten flowers, one for each of the ten wards.  She did a wonderful job of explaining and I now know there are ten wards!!!

Appreciatively,

Pat of the Valley

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿