2011年11月13日日曜日

Book of The Week and more...



This month we are well under way studying our town and what's in it.  We have brand new material and we are looking at what's there and how to talk about what is there at the moment.  For the younger kids we also read yet another Eric Carle book called, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?  We are expanding on the idea of "What can you see?" trying to guess where a student has pretended to go.

Like this:


Student A:   I can see monkeys.
                 There are elephants.
                 There is a polar bear.


Student B:   Are you at the zoo?


Student A:   Yes, I am.


This line of questioning has led the kids to start asking questions about the amount of certain nouns found at the places we are studying.  A question like, "How many fish are there?" for example, might help Student A determine whether Student B is at the aquarium or the local supermarket.

I am busily trying to put some material together that might help the kids understand the difference between count and no count nouns as painlessly as possible.  I'm not really a big fan of teaching count and no count.  In Hawaii, questions like, "How much birds get ova' dea?" seemed to get the job done just as well as "correct" English, so I don't want to burden my students with this one too much.  BUT, my JHS students need this one for the tests so I'm making it...

Much Than??ks,
Many thanks,
A ??lot of tha??nkses,
A lot of mu??ch about nothing,


Until next time,

Pat

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿