2012年9月11日火曜日

Waipio Valley


On the Northern tip of the Hamakua Coast on the Big Island of Hawaii there are many valleys.  Two of the most famous valleys are Waipio and Waimanu.  They once held large populations in ancient Hawaii.  Taro is still cultivated in Waipio Valley.  One of our own at English Island is going to travel all the way to the Big Island, take a tour and soak up some of the alleged power in the valley.

Personally, I like both valleys very much; been to both many times.  Waimanu Valley is about a four or five hour hike to get to,if I remeber correctly, so it's better to plan on spending at least one night.  One thing that doesn't thrill me about valleys is the limited sunshine.  The sun peeks over the valley wall at 10 a.m. or so and disappears over the opposite wall a little after 3:00.  It's OK for a couple of days, I have to admit I like it at first.  But because of the short sunlight periods, I can definitely say two things.

1. Valleys are cool.
2. Valleys are mysterious.
Waipio Valley
Waimanu Valley
I hope her trip is a fruitful and safe journey.  

Aloha,
Patrick

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿